Thursday, January 29, 2009

Criteria for Land

OK so I was thinking we could all list our own criteria for a piece of land.
Like elevation, distance from nearest town with a population of over 10,000 people, location, average rainfall, soil composition, winter low temps and summer high temps, cost, minimum size, i know this used to be about 10 acres, lately I have been hearing it's more like 50. Are Oregon and Washington the only two states that we want to be in? And still only on the eastern side of the cascades? It will also be necessary to find a piece of land that we can legally build several structures on. what slope the ground can be and still be usable for us, maybe 30 degrees.
If we can amass everyone's ideas, then this will help narrow the search down.. ..

3 comments:

soulseed said...

greetings-
me thinks the following:
as for size: the more the better but I think we can make do with whatever size is available in the right place and time.

A fairly temperate climate would be nice since we will be doing so much construction and gardening. Maybe something that doesnt dip below freezing too often in the winter but I know how to layer and am sure we can work around the cold with all you Detroities.
;)

I vote for East of the Cascade due to the numerous earth changes that are happening. As for Oregon and Washington being the only states. I love em but I am open to Colorado, Idaho and other places depending on the political and ethical values of those states. I dont mind it being conservative because the country usually is, I am just not into camping with racists and cops.

We need something that is not bedrock and preferably something with a year round water source close by if not on property, decent rainfall and plenty of timber for building and fuel.

peace out.
A

Zoe'sMom said...

It's very important to John, Zoe and I that were close enough to a city to have;a good school system and kids to play with, jobs, a farmers market, and hospital. I think if all that's with in an hour drive it's fine...
I'm in for East of the Cascade and fairly temperate climate. And I'm open to looking at other states, but feel the call to the NW. People are a heck of a lot nicer out there, than here! And am also not into camping with racists and cops.
A highway close by would be nice for commuters,and when we have a co set up on the farm. And I down with the rest Amber said. Lov you A

Palin47 said...

I think my criteria is less strict as far as distance from a city. I think there are benifits to being close as amy stated, but I think there are benifits to being rural too. An hour away from a city, give or take, sounds perfect. I think water on the property is a must. There is beautiful property out there in other states and I am open to looking elsewhere, but I feel a pull to OR/WA. Mild winters and low elevation are important for planting. I think we should post property as we find it and give feedback on each to get a better idea of what is +/- for people. I will make an effort to do ths more too.