Thursday, February 26, 2009

To Be Something

We have to be an organization of some sort to be non profit, I vote for a Heritage Biodyversity Farm. We could call it something like Heirloom Farms, Heritage Farms...Sustainable Farm
Plant and animal life is disappearing 2 breeds a day.
Whats the risk? The fewer breeds we have the worse a plant or animal disease would be.

Traditionally, farmers throughout the world have raised thousands of different animal breeds and plant varieties. However, since today's industrial farms rely upon only a few specialized types of livestock and crops, thousands of non-commercial animal breeds and crop varieties have disappeared, along with the valuable genetic diversity they possessed. Fortunately, a growing number of sustainable farmers are preserving agricultural variety and protecting biodiversity by raising “heritage” or “heirloom” animal breeds and crops.

Anyway I found a good sheep for OR it's in the Sheep! post.

We'll need to talk about farm equipment, can we get one machine that does it all?
Amber whats used on the farm your living on? And what plant & animal live do they have?
:) A

3 comments:

Zoe'sMom said...

http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/heritage/

soulseed said...

Hi there,
The equipment used here varies depending on what we are doing. Something to consider is closeness to other neighbors who are helpful. Here they do a lot of trading of large equipment pieces with friends and neighbors who have other items needed. These people have a lot of money and still do this so it is definitely food for consideration.

While I respect the need for deciding what were are going to identified as and the importance of paperwork,I am spending a lot of time trying to get educated about wildharvesting natural medicine locally, making whatever warm garments we might need and alternative housing ideas. If I do not respond to these more business oriented ads this is why. It does not denote a lack of interest so much as a different priority in my heart. I am glad we each have things we are focusing on.
Lov,
A

Water said...

I guess this is going to depend on the main focus of the farm. Are we going to focus mainly on produce or tea or being organic or being sustainable or being hippies? The name should reflect the existance of the farm and the direction of the collective vision. What is the main goal that we all agree on? What are we trying to acomplish here? What is our vision?

It could even be freedom or vigilance or spirituality. things that might be added to our tag.
Maybe we should get a killer grafiti artist to make our logo too. who is the artist in our group?

I like the names suggested, just want to make sure the one we pick is one hundred percent appropriate.